Monday, August 18, 2014

Portfolio Updates

The latest change to my portfolio has been to dump The TJX Companies (TJX) for a few reasons. To begin with the retail industry has been performing terribly these past few months with same store sales being relatively flat. TJX's growth is suppose to come from its European expansion, especially for the HomeGoods brand, but with Russian sanctions and poor exchange rates as seen affecting other company earnings I'm not optimistic. Also I bought TJX with the impression that it could be a stable grower but after more research I found the retail sector to be too competitive and unpredictable. I made the mistake of focusing only on the individual company performance and not the industry as a whole.

On the opposite side I more than doubled down on my Rite-Aid (RAD) position when it was at $6 which helped bring down my cost basis. With the remodels, McKesson distribution deal, and health management acquisitions there is a lot of potential that has yet to be realized.

Finally, now that it makes up a considerable percentage of my portfolio I've included my cash position with my holdings. I have a shopping list of stocks but at these valuations everything is too expensive so I plan on holding a sizable chunk in cash in preparation for any sell-offs toward the end of the year.