Friday, November 7, 2014

Portfolio Update: Good bye PE and ESV

With cratering oil prices I re-balanced my portfolio to reduce my exposure to the energy sector.

Removed:
Parsley Energy (PE) shale oil producer - When investors return to the energy sector, best of breed companies will benefit first before money trickles down to the smaller operators.

Ensco (ESV) offshore driller -  I was holding two offshore drillers so I choose to sell Ensco and hold Rowan because Rowan has the younger fleet.

Added:
EOG Resources (EOG) shale oil producer - Was able to lower my cost basis. This is a best of breed producer that will benefit first from any energy market turnaround.

Under Armour (UA) active wear retailer - I like the products and management and the stock finally pulled back from all time highs.

Starbucks (SBUX) coffee retailer - I like management and their embrace of technology to stay relevant to a younger generation.

More importantly I consolidated my holdings from 10 to 8 so it will be much easier to re-balance in the future without having to close out positions.