Monday, July 22, 2013

So Here's the Game Plan

I'm young and fascinated with the stock market so my plan is to be my own fund manager and build a portfolio of stocks that interest me. A lot of online communities stress buying ETFs and mutual funds to maximize consistent growth but that's what my 401K is for. This will be the fun side of investing where I can document the story behind each one of my stock picks. I'm not going to write much about the analysis of the stock (there are hundreds of online resources for this) but more what I took away from all the analysis, the frame of mind I'm in, and any other crazy reasoning I have.

This wouldn't be my first go at creating a portfolio. I previously built up a good set of stocks after the financial crisis that I cashed out of (for another investment). Now that things are settling a bit I'm ready to jump back in longer term focusing on growth with the sectors Energy, Consumer Goods, Financials, Technology, and Industrials.

I plan on buying in rounds. My goal is to have 5 stocks I can just buy and forget (re-evaluate once a year), 5 stocks I re-evaluate each quarter, and 5 stocks I'm doing monthly research on to grow the portfolio. In the end I should have no more than 12 stocks, two-thirds of which are large cap.